Review: The Shadow Reader by Sandy Williams

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

The Shadow Reader by Sandy Williams
Genre: UF
Series: McKenzie Lewis #1


There can only be one allegiance.
It’s her time to choose.


Some humans can see the fae. McKenzie Lewis can track them, reading the shadows they leave behind. But some shadows lead to danger. Others lead to lies.

A Houston college student trying to finish her degree, McKenzie has been working for the fae king for years, tracking vicious rebels who would claim the Realm. Her job isn’t her only secret. For just as long, she’s been in love with Kyol, the king’s sword-master—and relationships between humans and fae are forbidden.

But any hope for a normal life is shattered when she’s captured by Aren, the fierce and uncompromising rebel leader. He teaches her the forbidden fae language and tells her dark truths about the Court, all to persuade her to turn against the king. Time is running out, and as the fight starts to claim human lives, McKenzie has no choice but to decide once and for all whom to trust and where she ultimately stands in the face of a cataclysmic civil war


When I first picked up this book, I didn't expect it to be that good. I didn't have low expectations for it; I just thought it would be a good read and that's it, but it surpassed my expectations. I have not read anything from this author before. I believe this is her debut novel so there wasn't any previous works to draw on. There was no hype around this novel that I know of. I believe someone mentioned in on GR so I checked the synopsis and decided to give it a try since I like reading about the Fae. The synopsis didn't totally grab me 100%, but like I said, I wanted to give it a try. I'm glad I did.

There is a love triangle situation in this book. I love those; I don't know why, but I do. She's in love with one guy most of her life, but they can't be together and she's content with that. Then she gets kidnapped by someone else who's willing to love her even if it is forbidden. Only then does she realize how much she sacrificed for her first love and how he doesn't love her because if he did, wouldn't he drop anything and everything to be with her even if it is forbidden? Is that not what true love requires of you? Then she can't love the second guy because he kidnapped her, he's the supposed "bad guy" and he's challenging everything she's ever been taught about their world (for she's a regular mortal, not a Fae. She just works for them) and it's a bit too much Stockholm syndrome. What does she really know about the world she's been thrown in? Should she trust the one who's kept her safe, but in the dark, for years or someone who's willing to open her eye, love her for who she is, as well as keep her safe from now on? See how interesting it sounds?!

Ooh, I just loved this book. It's a great read and I highly recommend it!

0 bibliophiles:

Post a Comment

Blog contents © Mzalisakay. What The Smut... 2010. Blogger Theme by Nymphont.